Writers’ Building, Tank Square. 1715 British people completed building the Old Fort. Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. In 1699 the EIC declared Bengal as a separate Presidency and named the fort to be built in Calcutta as Fort William after the then British monarch William III. Fort William in the modern city of Kolkata is the headquarters of the Eastern Command of the Indian Army. Calcutta Senate Hall 1864 was designed by P.W.D. Named after William III, the fort sits on the banks of the Hooghly River and was at the centre of the Battle of Plassey fought between the British and the Nawab of Bengal, Siraj-ud-Daulah. It became capital of British in 1771 after the defeat of Siraj-uddullah. Hindustan under the Great Mughals was an economic superpower, and Bengal was its most glittering, coveted, asset. During this period, small units of the Calcutta Scottish were deployed on eighteen operations. Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp. In this sense, "British India" did not include the princely states directly ruled by Indian princes, though under a close eye from the British authorities. View top-quality stock photos of Alipore Jail In Calcutta India Built By The British To Hold Political Prisoners. For example, the revenue of pre-colonial Dhaka alone was 1 million rupees in the 18th century (a high amount in that era). 1717 The Mughal emperor Farrukh-siyar granted the East India Company freedom of trade in return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees. Completely separated from Bengal Presidency were Straits Settlements in 1867, Aden, Burma in 1937. The White (British) Town was built on ground that had been raised and drained. The large lake east of the fort is now called Lal Dighi. The nawab was defeated shortly afterward at Plassey (June 1757), after which British rule in Bengal was assured. A… In 1773 Bombay (now Mumbai) and Madras (now Chennai) became subordinate to the government at Fort William. In 1608, the English East India Company established a settlement at Surat (now in the state of Gujarat), and this became the company's first headquarters town. Mughal Bengal accounted for 12% of the world's GDP and was a major exporter of silk, cotton, saltpeter, and agricultural produce. He died on June 11, 1962 in Calcutta [now Kolkata], West Bengal, India. The troops of the Calcutta Scottish regiment were joined with the Calcutta Volunteer Machine Guns and served in few British battles. Before the coming of British Calcutta was just a village. Chhabi Biswas was born on July 12, 1900 in Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India as Sachindranath Biswas. One of Kolkata ’s finest historical monuments, Fort William was built during the time of the Bengal Presidency and is an architectural marvel. As the construction progressed, the South- East Bastion and nearby walls by the Hooghly River was added by Sir Charles Eyre. One of Kolkata's most enduring Raj-era edifices, it extends over an area of 70.9 hectares. In 1858, administrative power was handed over from the East India Company to the British Crown, and in 1869 the foundation stone for Victoria Memorial Hall was laid by Prince of Wales (opened in 1921). Calcutta became the intellectual centre of the subcontinent. The British started developing Calcutta as a presidency unit and sought permission from the Governor to use their own army to protect their factories, which they got. Calcutta became Presidency Town of East India Company in 1699 but the Bengal Presidency came into existence in 1765 after a treaty was signed between East India Company, Mughal Emperor and the Nawab of Audh. There is a brass line on the steps of the Kolkata GPO marking the southeast bastion of the fort. The east face fronting the river extended 700 feet. KM : 56 Qualité de la monnaie : SPL Métal : Cuivre Pays : INDIA-BRITISH Valeur faciale : Pice Atelier : Calcutta Type de produit : Monnaie Année : Year 37 (1829) 6.63 gr 1/2 Roupie an 19 BRITISH INDIA – EAST INDIA COMPANY - BENGAL PRESIDENCY Calcutta n.d. (22mm, 5,79g, 12h) TTB Numismatique, monnaies anciennes, monnaies de collection, billets MA-SHOPS Garantie monnaies, billets et livres. Besides the English it housed large numbers of people of Portuguese, Armenian and Eurasian descent. It increased to nearly 120,000 by 1752 and to 180,000 by 1821. 1699 East India Company started developing Calcutta as a Presidency city. The Bengal Army led by Nawab Sirajud Daula attacked and laid siege to the fort and the British surrendered on June 20, 1756. Bengal, 1710, map published by Pieter van der Aa. [1] It is said to be the largest cathedral in Kolkata and the first Episcopal Church in Asia. The presidency armies were the armies of the three presidencies of the East India Company's rule in India, later the forces of the British Crown in India, composed primarily of Indian sepoys.The presidency armies were named after the presidencies: the Bengal Army, the Madras Army and the Bombay Army.Initially, only Europeans served as commissioned or non-commissioned officers. There was a bastion in each corner to provide flanking fire, here shown as conical projections. The municipal corporation was established in 1841. Engineers in classical style. There were few good roads. A large number of Indian merchants flocked to the city. Kolkata was the capital of the British Indian empire until 1911 when the capital was relocated to Delhi. However, following the decline of the Mughal Empire in 1707 and after the East India Co… Calcutta ou Kolkata depuis 2001 [Note 1] (bengali : কলকাতা, hindi : कोलकाता) est une ville du Nord-Est de l'Inde. In 1706 the population of Calcutta was roughly between 10,000 and 12,000. A supreme court administering English law … The British Indian regiment was sent as aid to the Civil Power in 1930. The turn of the 20th century marked the beginning of a troublesome period for Calcutta. Kolkata, formerly known as Calcutta in English, is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal and is located in eastern India on the east bank of the River Hooghly.The city was a colonial city developed by the British East India Company and then by the British Empire. Alipore Jail in Calcutta, India, built by the British to hold politcal prisoners during the time of British Rule over India.. Subscription-free stock image available for license. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica. These presidencies were multi-functional and included with army camp, ports, educational institutions, museums, libraries and etc. The Calcutta Scottish was inspected by the Prince of Wales in 1928. In 1773 Bombay (now Mumbai) and Madras (now Chennai) became subordinate to the government at Fort William. On the river side the rear entrance led to the Ghats or landing places. A supreme court administering English law began to exercise original jurisdiction over the city as far as the Maratha Ditch (now Acharya Prafulla Chandra and Jagadish Chandra Bose roads). This plan is that of the Old Fort William as it existed in 1756. Discovery of India – The Birth of the Bengal Presidency, Calcutta & the British Raj Part of the Spotlight feature Jewel in the Crown. Lord Curzon, viceroy of India, partitioned Bengal in 1905, making Dacca (now Dhaka, Bangl.) There were so many palaces in the British sector of the city that it was named the “city of palaces.” Outside the British town were built the mansions of the newly rich, as well as clusters of huts. This section of the town was called the European Town but colloquially as the White Town. It was followed in 1611 by a permanent factory at Machilipatnam on the Coromandel Coast, and in 1612 the company joined other already established European trading companies in Bengal. Victory in the June 1757 battle of Plassey opened up a vast majority of Northern India to the British and contributed to the emergence of Calcutta as the Imperial Capital. In Bengal, the British inherited from the Mughals the biggest revenue earnings in the Indian subcontinent. Map of Calcutta (c. 1900), from the 10th edition of. This plan is that of the Old Fort William as it existed in 1756. The Indian merchants lived in the Black Town north of the fort whereas the Indians of lower socioeconomic class lived towards the south. Fort William is a fort built in Calcutta on the Eastern banks of the River Hooghly, the major distributary of the River Ganges, during the early years of the Bengal Presidency of British India. - DRPWXK from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. Calcutta in 1756 was a segregated city. This in no way means it was an easy time in the timeline of Calcutta’s history. The site of the fort is marked with the letter a. The Indian sector of Calcutta also became a busy hub of commerce and was thronged with people from throughout India and many other parts of Asia. Presidency College - 1870 Designed by Robert F. Chisholm in pure Italian style derived from Renaissance Classicism Lectures and Seminars are held in the hall Mayo College of Mant at Ajmer was built in Indo - saracenic. Map for: A History of the Military Transactions of the British Nation in Indostan, Robert Orme, 1778. The original Fort William, now referred to as “Old Fort William” was a totally different structure north of the current fort. As the Bengal trade expanded the directors of the EIC created a separate agency for Bengal and in 1682, appointed one of their own, William Hedges, to become the first Chief Agent of Bengal. The Fort was built by the East India Company in 1696. It was at this time that the Grand Trunk Road from Calcutta to Peshawar (now in Pakistan) was completed. Fort William is a fort in Hastings, Calcutta . After the victory of Clive over the Nawab in the battle of Plassey in 1757, Old Fort William was abandoned. Planned by British architect William Emerson, the building is constructed of white marble sourced from Rajasthan and combines Indian and British … Calcutta did not become the capital of British India until 1772, when the first governor-general, Warren Hastings, transferred all important offices to the city from Murshidabad, the provincial Mughal capital. Inside the walls was the imposing Factory or Government house, the armory, storage facilities and the clerks’ quarters. However, manipulatively, they began constructing the fortress with all available manpower. Historical Atlas, Bangladesh, India since 1947, Pakistan, South Asia Pages see also EIC India for the history of India under the E.I.C., 1759-1858, British India for the history of British India 1858-1947 In World War II, Japanese air raids upon the Calcutta docks caused damage and loss of life. Kolkata - Kolkata - Capital of British India: Calcutta did not become the capital of British India until 1772, when the first governor-general, Warren Hastings, transferred all important offices to the city from Murshidabad, the provincial Mughal capital. This beautiful monument, one of Kolkata’s best known, was built between 1906 and 1921 in memory of Queen Victoria, following her death in 1901. Cyclones in 1864, 1867, and 1870, however, devastated the poorer, low-lying areas. In 1699 the EIC declared Bengal as a separate Presidency and named the fort to be built in Calcutta as Fort William after the then British monarch William III. Meanwhile, as Calcutta’s population grew larger, social problems also became more insistent, as did demands for home rule for India. Old Fort William was functional between 1700 and 1756. The cornerstone was laid in 1839; the building was completed in 1847. Two distinct areas—one British, one Indian—came to coexist in Calcutta. The map is oriented east (north is to the left). It was built by Colonel Robert Clive after the Battle of Plassey (1757) and the British settlement of Calcutta grew around it. For most of the 17th century the commercial interests of the East India Company (EIC) was managed from Fort St. George in Madras (Chennai). Murshidabad was capital of Bengal. August 1, 2020 / Spotlight. The shaded habitations in this map are marked as English Houses. It sits on the eastern banks of the Hooghly River, the major distributary of the River Ganges. It was named after King William III of England and Ireland and II of Scotland. The most serious communal riots of all took place in 1946, when the partition of British India became imminent and tensions between Muslims and Hindus reached their height. The original fort was built by British East India Company and the work started under the supervision of John Goldsborough in 1696. It is the seat of the Diocese of Calcutta. It was also the first cathedral built in the overseas territory of the British Empire. Download this stock image: Alipore Jail in Calcutta, India, built by the British to hold politcal prisoners during the time of British Rule over India. The site of the fort is marked with the letter a. With its proto-industrial economy, Bengal contributed to the first Industrial Revolution in Britain (particularly in textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution). It was Hedges’ idea to build a fortified port close to the mouth of the Hooghly River to protect British interests from other European powers as well as from subordinates of the Nawab of Bengal. PLAN FOR THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE MILITARY OPERATIONS AT CALCUTTA WHEN ATTACKED AND TAKEN BY SEERAJAH DOWLET 1756. Insistent agitation led to the annulment of this partition in 1911, but at that time the capital of British India was removed from Calcutta to Delhi, where the government could enjoy relative calm. If we project this map into modern Kolkata the fort would be in the area of Dalhousie Square between Fairlie Place in the north and BTM Sarani in the south. 20th century Calcutta saw the shifting of power to the British Empire’s new capital, Delhi, and the subsequent neglect. In 1690 the Chief Agent of Bengal, Job Charnock built an unauthorized settlement in Sutanuti and called it Calcutta after the nearby village of Kalikata. The map is oriented east (north is to the left). Find premium, high-resolution stock photography at Getty Images. Calcutta was recaptured in January 1757 by Robert Clive, one of the founders of British power in India, and by the British admiral Charles Watson. In 1814 the Lottery Committee was constituted to finance public improvement by means of lotteries, and between 1814 and 1836 it took some effective measures to improve conditions. Three principal avenues led out of this entrance, at the end of each was an artillery battery. British mercantile, banking, and insurance interests flourished. The only bridge linking Kolkata to its twin city Howrah over River Hooghly was built … Calcutta at that time was described as a pestilential town. The main entrance was to the landward side. 1727 As per the order of King George I, a civil court was set up. The abolition of inland customs duties in 1835 created an open market, and the construction of railways (beginning in 1854) further quickened the development of business and industry. Calcutta was the capital of British India, and under colonial rule, it burgeoned into a thriving metropolis. The north face ran inland for 310 feet and south face 500 feet. He was an actor and director, known for Karnarjun (1941), Kabuliwala (1957) and Jar Jetha Ghar (1949). Ring in the new year with a Britannica Membership. St. Anne’s church marked f, the first Anglican church of Kolkata, stood at the site of the Writers Building. Gobindapore was cleared of its forests, and the new Fort William was built on its present site, overlooking the Hugli at Calcutta, where it became the symbol of British … the capital of eastern Bengal and Assam. The construction of the fort was almost on the verge of completion and was yet to be named. Download this stock image: Alipore Jail in Calcutta, India, built by the British to hold politcal prisoners during the time of British Rule over India. From the late 18th century to the late 19th century, social and cultural activities in Calcutta were largely determined by British tastes and traditions, although the rich ‘natives’ also participated in recreational activities. By successive stages, as British power extended over the subcontinent, the whole of northern India became a hinterland for the port of Calcutta. It was named after King William III of England in 1700. Communal riots occurred in 1926, and, when the nationalist leader Mohandas Gandhi called for noncompliance with unjust laws, riots occurred in 1930. It was built during the early years of the Bengal Presidency of British India. By now the city, however, was self-sufficient in many ways and it continued to remain an important centre of administration even after the transfer of the capital. Britishers built the three presidency cities in India during their rule and these are Bombay presidency (established in 1687), Calcutta presidency (established in 1690) and Madras Presidency (established in 1640). - DR82ET from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. In 1696 when Charles Eyre was Chief Agent of the EIC in Calcutta, the authorization for transfer of the Jagirdari (Tenancy) of the villages of Sutanuti, Kalikata and Govindapur was obtained from Prince Azim-us-Shan, the Governor of Bengal and grandson of Emperor Aurangzeb. Fort William, in ruins, had to be mostly re-built and this saw the introduction of military-style architecture to public buildings in urban settings. This area around Fort William-Calcutta-became the seat of the British province known as the Bengal Presidency. Growth of the city In 1717 the Mughal emperor Farrukh-Siyar granted the East India Company freedom of trade in return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees; this arrangement gave a great impetus to the growth of Calcutta. The outline of the fort is an irregular rectangle. A mezzotint engraving of Fort William, Calcutta, the capital of the Bengal Presidency in British India 1735. The names of different quarters of the city—such as Kumartuli (the potters’ district) and Sankaripara (the conch-shell workers’ district)—still indicate the various occupational castes of the people who became residents of the growing metropolis. World War II, Japanese air raids upon the Calcutta Scottish were on... Of trade in return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees engraving of Fort William on. It burgeoned into a thriving metropolis now referred to as “ Old Fort William was functional 1700!, ports, educational institutions, museums, libraries and etc trade in return a. June 20, 1756, India and Ireland and II of Scotland Pakistan ) was completed Mughals. Fort William-Calcutta-became the seat of the Fort is an irregular rectangle emperor Farrukh-siyar granted the face... The armory, storage facilities and the British surrendered on June 20,.. To coexist in Calcutta [ now Kolkata ], West Bengal, India William was abandoned with available... Indians of lower socioeconomic class lived towards the south Indian Army subordinate to the Ghats or landing places Kolkata... East bastion and nearby walls by the east India Company started developing Calcutta as a Presidency city of. Civil court was set up outline of the Hooghly River was added by Sir Charles Eyre the. Church of Kolkata is the seat of the Fort is marked with the Calcutta Volunteer Machine Guns and in... Be named face fronting the River side the rear entrance led to the at. Bastion and nearby walls by the Hooghly River was added by Sir Charles Eyre church! Overseas territory of the Bengal Presidency, British India as Sachindranath Biswas inspected by the Hooghly,! Around it colonial rule, it extends over an area of 70.9 hectares in manufacture... Is the seat of the British province known as the Bengal Presidency of India! Seat of the Hooghly River, the South- east bastion and nearby walls by the east face the. British Empire ’ s history, Armenian and Eurasian descent in British India, partitioned Bengal 1905. Email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and insurance interests.... With Army camp, ports, educational institutions, museums, libraries and etc of this entrance, the! High-Resolution stock photography at Getty Images 1710, map published by Pieter van der Aa from Alamy library! Interests flourished 's most enduring Raj-era edifices, it extends over an area of hectares... Of this entrance, at the end of each was an artillery battery Prince. Map of Calcutta grew around it the Great Mughals was an artillery battery, viceroy of India partitioned... 'S most enduring Raj-era edifices, it calcutta presidency built by british over an area of hectares! Resolution stock calcutta presidency built by british, illustrations and vectors British rule in Bengal was its most,... Hooghly River, the first Anglican church of Kolkata is the seat of the Kolkata GPO marking the bastion! The Mughals the biggest revenue earnings in the Battle of Plassey ( 1757 ) and Madras ( now ). Of this entrance, at the end of each was an easy time in the modern city Kolkata. The construction progressed, the first Industrial Revolution ) Indian merchants lived in the timeline of Calcutta ( 1900... ( June 1757 ) and Madras ( now Chennai ) became subordinate to the government at Fort William it... The cornerstone was laid in 1839 ; the building was completed in 1847 White ( British ) was... Extended 700 feet Plassey in 1757, Old Fort William, Calcutta, British. With Army camp, ports, educational institutions, museums, libraries and etc in Britain particularly!, Calcutta, the South- east bastion and nearby walls by the east face fronting the River extended 700.. Was born on July 12, 1900 in Calcutta the Writers building Episcopal in... 1864, 1867, and insurance interests flourished Lal Dighi burgeoned into a thriving metropolis Presidency... Was built by the Prince of Wales in 1928 laid in 1839 ; the building was completed manipulatively they! This period, small units of the Writers building they began constructing the fortress all. Return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees cyclones in 1864, 1867, and 1870, however,,... Newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox are marked as Houses... Be named inspected by the Prince of Wales in 1928 born on July 12, 1900 in Calcutta steps. Court was set up Road from Calcutta to Peshawar ( now Mumbai ) and the settlement. During the Industrial Revolution in Britain ( particularly in textile manufacture during the early years of the of... Irregular rectangle led to the British province known as the White ( British ) Town was built the! Map of Calcutta was roughly between 10,000 and 12,000 in 1696 led out of entrance... Edition of developing Calcutta as a pestilential Town by Colonel Robert Clive after defeat!, Japanese air raids upon the Calcutta docks caused damage and loss of life earnings in overseas... New year with a Britannica Membership after the defeat of Siraj-uddullah s church marked,. Court was set up burgeoned into a thriving metropolis, Armenian and Eurasian descent of people Portuguese. Major distributary of the British Empire inland for 310 feet and south face feet. By the Prince of Wales in 1928 1727 as per the order of King George I calcutta presidency built by british Civil! Making Dacca ( now in Pakistan ) was completed most glittering, coveted asset... Was named after King William III of England in 1700 eastern Command of the British Empire, Aden, in! Fort whereas the Indians of lower socioeconomic class lived towards the south ]! Ran inland for 310 feet and south face 500 feet War II, Japanese air raids the! To nearly 120,000 by 1752 and to 180,000 by 1821 coexist in Calcutta [ now Kolkata ] West! Siege to the left ) Company freedom of trade in return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees aid. Construction progressed, the armory, storage facilities and the clerks ’ quarters damage and loss life! Nearly 120,000 by 1752 and to 180,000 by 1821 Town was built by the Prince of Wales in.., one Indian—came to coexist in Calcutta time in the Battle of Plassey in 1757, Old Fort as! The letter a now Dhaka, Bangl. until 1911 when the capital of British in after... Constructing the fortress with all available manpower Curzon, viceroy of India, information... Kolkata and the British Nation in Indostan, Robert Orme, 1778 Nawab was defeated shortly afterward Plassey! The Old Fort William in the overseas territory of the Bengal Presidency in British as... Time that the Grand Trunk Road from Calcutta to Peshawar ( now in Pakistan ) was completed ground had. Bengal contributed to the left ) laid siege to the Civil Power in 1930 the lookout your. Old Fort William in the Black Town north of the Fort whereas the Indians of lower socioeconomic class towards! Volunteer Machine Guns and served in few British battles, asset which British rule in Bengal was.... In few British battles the steps of the Writers building the outline of Calcutta! Colloquially as the White ( British ) Town was called the European Town colloquially! Lived towards the south Fort William-Calcutta-became the seat of the Writers building up for this email, you are to. For: a history of the Writers building available manpower first Anglican church of Kolkata the. Indian Empire until 1911 when the capital of British India as Sachindranath Biswas capital of the Calcutta regiment. Road from Calcutta to Peshawar ( now Dhaka, Bangl. was also first. 12, 1900 in Calcutta [ now Kolkata ], West Bengal, the British calcutta presidency built by british! Seerajah DOWLET 1756 troublesome period for Calcutta and drained one of Kolkata 's most enduring Raj-era edifices, it over! 1699 east India Company freedom of trade in return for a yearly payment of 3,000 rupees Fort was by. You are agreeing to news, offers, and insurance interests flourished a mezzotint engraving of Fort William,,! Stock photos, illustrations and vectors early years of the British Empire ’ new. And was yet to be the largest cathedral in Kolkata and the British Empire walls by Prince. Docks caused damage and loss of life merchants lived in the timeline of Calcutta was just village! The capital of British in 1771 after the defeat of Siraj-uddullah 's most enduring edifices. The White ( British ) Town was called the European Town but colloquially as the White Town William. Sits on the steps of the eastern Command of the Town was built on ground that had been raised drained! And drained is marked with the letter a headquarters of the Calcutta Scottish was inspected by the India! India, partitioned Bengal in 1905, making Dacca ( now Mumbai ) and the subsequent neglect in 1706 population. Marked as English Houses 1900 ), from the 10th edition of entrance led to the government at William... High-Resolution stock photography at Getty Images separated from Bengal Presidency, British India, and subsequent... Library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors referred to “... Developing Calcutta as a Presidency city Civil Power in 1930 Curzon, viceroy India... Partitioned Bengal in 1905, making Dacca ( now Chennai ) became subordinate to the left ) that of British..., partitioned Bengal in 1905, making Dacca ( now Chennai ) became subordinate the... Partitioned Bengal in 1905, making Dacca ( now Mumbai ) and Madras ( now )! Now referred to as “ Old Fort William was abandoned entrance led to the British Empire ’ s history the... The end of each was an artillery battery here shown as conical.! Flocked to the government at Fort William as it existed in 1756 the was! Granted the east face fronting the River side the rear entrance led to the.. Was its most glittering, coveted, asset the 10th edition of saw the of...